This easy Apple Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Bake is free of added sugar, Paleo, Whole30 compliant and vegan. Loaded with flavor and great topped with bananas and drizzled with coconut or nut butter!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Calories per muffin: 250 Calories
- 2 large apples or 3 small ones, peeled, shredded or grated, excess water gently squeezed. Pink lady or Granny Smith best
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts of choice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or lite coconut milk full fat is too thick for this recipe
- 1 1/2 Tbsp organic coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 Tbsp water, mixed and allowed to sit for 10-15 mins
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries, no sugar added or fruit sweetened cranberries, or a combo*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt divided
- 1 Tbsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Before beginning, mix the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes, meanwhile, toast the nuts and coconut if desired:
Optional first step: Toast the nuts and coconut:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and Lay out on a baking sheet and drizzle on 2 tsp coconut oil and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Roast for 5-7 minutes, remove from oven and cool long enough to handle.
Prepare the Breakfast Bake:
1. Turn the oven up to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse the toasted nuts and coconut until a crumbly mixture forms - don’t process too long or it will start to form a butter.
2. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl (or simply use the bowl of your food processor) and stir in the shredded apples, almond milk, coconut oil, flaxseed/water mixture, dried fruit*, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Once well combined, transfer to a 9 x 9 baking dish or 2-3 smaller baking dishes. You can also bake this in individual portions, adjusting baking time as necessary.
4. Bake in the preheated oven (375 F) for 35-40 minutes if baking in one dish, and about 30 minutes if using smaller dishes. You’ll know its ready when the top is crisp and browning.
5. Serve warm with desired toppings, such as sliced bananas and melted nut butter or coconut butter, extra cinnamon, or maple if not on Whole30. Makes 6-8 servings.