SIX Healthy Shamrock Shake Recipes
According to McDonald's, it's "the shake that started it all" (ok, I'm feeling nostalgic.) "Creamy, dreamy vanilla soft serve..." (I'm starting to salivate,) "...blended with Shamrock Shake syrup" (huh?)
What the heck is Shamrock Shake Syrup? Trust me, you don't want to know.
While the idea of a Shamrock Shake may bring a smile to my face, the number of ingredients (54!) including additives and thickeners makes me cringe - and that's before I notice the calorie count and the fact that there are 13 ingredients listed in the cherry (the Cherry!) alone.
Anyone know how many burpees will burn off the 820 calories in just one large Shamrock Shake?
And possibly the worst culprit, Carrageenan, is not even listed on the graphic above! BambooCore says we should RUN away from the Golden Arches and their Shamrock Shake (they explain why here) but if you're still craving that sweet minty goodness around St. Patrick's Day, you're not alone.
Here are Six Protein-Packed Healthy "Shamrock Shake" Recipes to help you avoid the drive-thru, quench your mint-loving thirst and FUEL your body for the 2017 Open, instead of POISON it (allegedly)!
Throw the ingredients in a blend and Enjoy! We suggest using vanilla protein power from Stronger, Faster, Healthier (SFH Pure), found on WODSuperstore.com. It's Non-GMO, Gluten Free with NO Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavors, Hormones or Antibiotics.
1. From PancakeWarriors, it's Vegan, it's Low Fat and it's Green (thanks to *actual greens!)
- ½ cup frozen spinach
- ¼ banana, frozen
- 1 tbs. raw cashew pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1 medjool date
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
2. Paleo fans are pumped about the 40 grams of protein in this Protein World recipe.
- 40g protein powder
- 300ml water or nut based milk
- 3 tbs low fat yogurt
- a handful of pistachios
- a handful of spinach
- a few drops of peppermint extract or a couple of fresh mint leaves
- Ice cubes
3. No guilt here for Calorie Counters, thanks to this 77 calorie knock off from SimplyTaralynn.
Here's how 16 oz of each version stacks up:
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 packet of Truvia (or sweetener of your choice)
4. Not afraid of raw egg whites? Get Festive pre or post workout with help from HeAndSheEatClean.com
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1 handful of organic spinach
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp liquid egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp honey or your sweetener of choice
- 2 scoops of vanilla protein
5. DashingDish adds thickness with Low Fat Cottage Cheese instead of chemicals.
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup vanilla or plain protein powder
- 1/8 tsp mint extract
- 2-3 packets Stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- 5-10 ice cubes
- 4 oz water (alter amount according to desired thickness of shake)
- handful of spinach to make it green!
6. "Good Fats" and good taste from Avocado in this Core-Conditioning Healthy Shamrock Shake recipe.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1-2 big handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp Stevia, to taste
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Add ice cubes and water for desired consistency
You WOD It, We GOT It! Get Stronger, Faster, Healthier (SFH Pure) Protein Powder and all your workout gear on WODSuperStore.com
- Courtney Perna