What a great first weekend of Regional Competition. This weekends action is sure to be just as exciting and intense as athletes and fans head to Hartford, CT and Del Mar, CA. We’ve put together few things you can do during your visit.
Hartford, CT - Home of the 2015 CrossFit® Games East Regional Competition
Hundreds of athletes and fans will flock to the area to take part in the competition. Hartford is a quaint city with a long history. It was around during the Colonial days of the United States—back before the United States was the United States. Today, it stands as a testament to American History and is a rich hub of entertainment, both in the sporting community and cultural arts. If you are heading to Hartford, we strongly recommend that you carve out the time to enjoy yourself.
Here are a few ideas of what you can do to see the sights and have some fun while you are in Hartford:
- See where Mark Twain made his magic happen at the Mark Twain home. If southern literary realism isn’t your cup of tea, then check out one of the other artistic museums in town, like the Wadsworth Atheneum, which is the oldest museum in the United States—a museum within a museum, if you will. The Harriet Beacher Stowe home is also located in Hartford.
- The Connecticut Science Center is in Hartford, and this is a fun place to spend an afternoon. It is loaded with interesting facts and displays of science. Here you will find dinosaur bones, aqua displays and other scientific showcases that are second only to the Smithsonian’s. If you need even more science, check out the Copernican Observatory for a full display of the stars and lights.
- Prime Climb and Mountain Fun. If you are looking for a way to push your body even further in between competitions, then maybe head to the rock gym. This is the place to be for a good climb in Hartford. It is is open to climbers of all skill sets and ages.
- You can also get out of the sun and enjoy a little you time by heading over to the Westfarms area, where you’ll find premier shopping and dining.
Del Mar, CA - Home of the 2015 CrossFit® Games California Regional Competition
Competitions can take you all over the world, but they don’t always take you directly into the beauty and splendor that is Del Mar, California. When you get to Del Mar, you can’t let the opportunity slip away. Sure, you’ll be busy, but when you aren’t in the arena we recommend that you take a bit of time for yourself and really explore the area and enjoy the sights.
We are talking about one of the premier destinations to visit in California. It is just outside of San Diego, sharing many of the same amenities and local ties. It sits directly on the Pacific Ocean and is a rather small, incredibly affluent area with a population of just about 4,000 people.
We have a few ideas as to how you could spend your free time when you get to Del Mar:
- Check out the race tracks: This is pretty much the staple of Del Mar, after all, it is where “the turf meets the surf,” as their saying goes. This is one of the most highly regarded horse tracks in the United States, open since 1937. You can stop by anytime during the season for thoroughbred races. The races don’t start until July but you will want to check out the historic arena while in town.
- Go to the beach: It isn’t cliché—it is pretty much mandatory. Del Mar exists because of the beach, so it would be a crying shame if you went all the way there and didn’t take any time to bask in the sun for yourself.
- Highway 101: If sand between your toes isn’t your cup of tea, think about taking in the ocean air and beautiful sights with a drive down the iconic highway 101. Take your car on a ride along the Pacific and see the many historic small beach communities sitting along the coastline.
- Hot air balloon rides: Seeing hot air balloons up in the air is a somewhat common sight in Del Mar, and is a great way to take in the entire view of the Pacific Ocean.
- Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve’s: If you are the nature-loving type, or up for a bit of extra activity while you are in town, then think about taking a hike through this 4000 acre preserve that is filled with plenty of native plants and wildlife.
Make your trip to Hartford or Del Mar more of a vacation when you head out of town for the CrossFit® Games Regional Competitions. Plan ahead to make the most of the time and enjoy these beautiful cities!